[svlug] Suse 6.4?

Bill Jonas bj at netaxs.com
Wed May 17 01:49:27 PDT 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Will Francis wrote:

>Forgive me, I should have been more specific.  The eval copy is only one CD,
>while a full blown Suse 6.4 distribution is (I think) 6 CD's.  The packages I
>seek are not in the eval. distribution (but are distributed under GPL).

As Rick Moen has pointed out, there are demos of commercial products on
the entire set.  And as Steve Bibayoff has pointed out, more stuff will
be posted shortly.  Which kind of makes this a moot point, but...

We normally associate a Linux distribution as being available for
download, but nothing I read in the GPL (I just did a quick re-reading
of it, just to make sure) *requires* that GPL'd software be made
available for download over the Internet.  The relevant section is
Section 3, which has (coincidentally) 3 parts, a, b, and c.  These parts
tell how one can satisfy one's obligation to distribute the source code
if one distributes binaries, namely, you can accompany it with the
source code, or a written offer, or rely on someone else's offer to
provide the source code, if that's what you got (only for non-commercial
distribution).

As for downloading, the last paragraph of Section 3 states: "If
distribution of executable or object code is made by offering access to
copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent access to copy
the source code from the same place counts as distribution of the source
code, even though third parties are not compelled to copy the source
along with the object code."  This says to me that you are *permitted*
to make available GPL'd software for download, but not *required* (of
course, if you do indulge yourself that privilege, then you have to put
the source code up there with the binaries).

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/