[svlug] [OT] Joke

Jan-Albert Venter JAVenter at africon.co.za
Wed May 17 00:07:08 PDT 2000

Mmm'Kay,
Most of you know by now that I am a white Afrikaans speaking South-African.
Which leaves this discussion very much in my field of personall experience.
I just turned 20. I was blissfully unaware of the Angola war until 3 years
after it ended, (I was 16 when somebody first bothered to tell me about it.
Ere that I had often wondered why everybody I knew was in the army at some
point or another)
Yes ignorance is a pillarstone of fasizm (and I do believe my preceding
generation was doing just that) the goverment lied to them, and they lied to
us.
However I refuse to ever feel guilty or appologize, I was not ever
advantaged by appartheid, if anything I suffered under affirmative action
(Black people who have fewer qualifications and less experience earn
litterally double my salary) without ever doing anything to deserve it. I
have been a liberall for as long as I knew what a liberall was, and as a
liberall person I have to say that 'PC', Hate Speech etc. is nothing other
that fasizm itself. The only thing that's changed is the oppressor and the
oppressed are different. We saw in South-Africa, how freedomn of speech
became constitutionall, then we saw the censors come right back less than
two years later, and we can't do anything about it.
Sorry, this e-mail is getting long, but I live with terms like 'whitey',
'redneck', 'amagati' (evil sourcerer) etc. because I believe in the wielder
of those word's right to an opinion of his own, however unfair it may be, it
is his right, all I ask is that same right. And I believe that everyone who
complained about that joke should wonder, was I not attempting to force my
idea's on to someone. Those who told and protected it however should be
asking the same thing of themselves.
Finally, I don't use terms like 'kaffer' because I do not wish to offend,
but I refuse to believe that it is not my right to use the term should I
ever want to. I leave it at that.

A.J. Venter
CCS
427-2537 E103
"I know not with what weapons they will fight world war III but world war IV
will be thought with sticks and stones": Robert Heinlein, The Puppetmasters.