[svlug] [OT] Joke

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre at deirdre.net
Tue May 16 16:50:44 PDT 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000 kmself at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> > M'dear, I realise it's horrible of me to intrude such things into an
> > otherwise tidy explanation, but Brazil happens to have a _very_ diverse
> > society.
>
> Hey!  That's not PC!

I responded privately, but, for the record: Yes, I recognize that Brazil
is "diverse." However, the perception there, from what I know, is
different. We in the US perceive certain groups as being "more diverse."
IOW, diversity is largely a matter of perception and we tend to look at
these issues on an electron microscope level.

I see the role of "PC" not as necessary, but as an outcropping of the fact
that we have a bunch of mutually hostile groups trying to live together as
a quasi-coherent entity.

ObLinux: Interesting article on redirects at:

http://lwn.net/2000/features/Redirect.phtml

Somehow I missed it last week.

"Linux means never having to delete your love mail." -- Don Marti