[svlug] eWeek article on MS Outlook

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 16 11:28:58 PDT 2000

Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):

> From what I see, the potential is there all along with one exception:
> there's limited damage one can do in a multi-user system when not
> running as root.
>
> There is NO way to reliably determine what is or is not a virus. None.
> And, for this sort of thing, there is no way to effectively prevent
> it, even on Linux.

That's Fred Cohen's theorem, isn't it?

> Worms are easily written and can be spread easily in interpreted
> languages.

Also trojan horses by the bushel basket.  Which gets us back to my
earlier point that users' _only_ real protection is to make sure they
can determine when they are and aren't running executables, and make
sure they they understand the burden's on _them_ to avoid shooting
themselves in the foot.

If they then insist on running software that stands in the way of their
doing this, I for one will say "Well, Don't Do That, Then."

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,