[svlug] eWeek article on MS Outlook

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Tue May 16 02:00:23 PDT 2000

Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2000, Rick Moen wrote:
>
> > Interesting question to contemplate:  Do the BSD-based MacOS X Server
> > and (beta) MacOS X versions perpetuate this conceptual model?  If so,
> > then they may pose the same risk for user-authority viruses / trojans
> > / worms as we've seen lately on MS Windows 9x and NT.
>
> Well, for a script to execute (vs. just open), it would have to have its
> execute bit set.

I think what Rick is describing is much more like "python foo.py", where
foo.py's permissions are largely irrevelant. Just subsctitute visual
basic for python[1] and ILOVEYOU for foo.py

Of course you may be right about OS X -- I don't know anything about it,
but again I don't see that file execute permissions need enter the picture.

--
see shy jo

[1] No, I did not dream up this message as an excuse to say that. ;-)