[svlug] eWeek article on MS Outlook

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon May 15 20:28:17 PDT 2000

On Mon, 15 May 2000 20:08:58 -0700

> Quoting J C Lawrence (claw at kanga.nu):
>> Nope.  Given a "desktop" or whatever else you want to call it,
>> that allows a non-executable data file to masquerade as being an
>> executable via "double-clicking on it opens the relevant
>> application on that data file", then no, this is not directly a
>> thing of permissions.  At least not of file-system permissions,
>> and arguably not of permissions in general, tho I'll accept
>> contention on that point.

> J C, Deirdre _is_ a qualified authority on how MacOS X Server
> behaves in this area.  You should probably take what she says on
> the subject as highly reliable.  And, in that particular, I
> believe you're gainsaying what she posted.

I realise that.  I'm not debating MacOS in particular, and I'll
freely admit her far greater knowledge and expertise, and the fact
that I don't know how MacOS X handles this area.  Instead I'm
debating the wisdom of the more general data-centric model to which
Windows, MacOS, WPS, et al are stated by their vendors to aspire
(incl Apple TBOMR).

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu