[svlug] Is there a GOOD source for web-based email?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon May 15 15:59:00 PDT 2000

On Sun, 14 May 2000 23:22:49 -0700
Marc MERLIN <marc_news at valinux.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 04:25:42PM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> The distinction betwene Tier 1 and Tier2 is rapidly becoming
>> meaningless.  The name of the game currently is peering, not how
>> big a pipe you have coming into your site, or even necessarily
>> how close you are to MAE.  Who do you peer with?  How many other
>> local

> Actually, you want to avoid using a provider that dumps their
> packets into MAE (east or west), and chose one that has as much
> private peering as possible and only uses the MAE as a last
> resort.

Methinks you just agreed with me (and stated my point more clearly,
thanks!).

> An interesting one is Internap (http://www.internap.com/) as they
> do not focus on country-wide network infrastructure, but buy
> bandwidth from all the major ISPs instead and run custom routing
> to dump your packets directly on the receipient's Tier-1/2
> provider's network

Aye, they are kinda cute.  Bill, from everything I've been able to
poke, does an excellent job with Zocalo, both technically and in
getting it well peered, yet my major problem with Zocalo is based on
that same very fact.  He is so well peered, as in number and spread
of peering relationships, that some of the peering connections (ie
the ones I tend to hit heavily in my personal use) are hitting
saturation during the day.  Of course PacBell is doing their normal
expeditious "service is #1" job of putting in new lines, leaving him
twiddling his thumbs, and me in admiring grumbles.

> But we're getting way off topic here, this really belongs on a
> list like nanog

While I agree its off-topic, I'd hope its an allowable off-topic on
the basis of common interest and utility.  I also argue that NANOG
is NOT the right place.  SVLUG has, I warrant, an atypically high
population of people with boxes colocated at ISPs, of people with
otherwise hosted servers, with static connections with static IPs,
personal (or other) domain registrations etc.  As such, this sort of
data, even at the highly general level we have been discussing it
at, is of interest to them, and for the same reasons, is not of
interest to NANOG (who hopefully know all this stuff already (or
we're in deep trouble)), and further, NANOG doesn't have as much of
an education charter as SVLUG does.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu