[svlug] eWeek article on MS Outlook

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre at deirdre.net
Mon May 15 18:21:34 PDT 2000

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Rick Moen wrote:

> Interesting question to contemplate:  Do the BSD-based MacOS X Server
> and (beta) MacOS X versions perpetuate this conceptual model?  If so,
> then they may pose the same risk for user-authority viruses / trojans
> / worms as we've seen lately on MS Windows 9x and NT.

Well, for a script to execute (vs. just open), it would have to have its
execute bit set. So, when they don't, they don't execute. Period. IOW, the
Unix-based MacOSes respect the permissions models. AIRC, the Email client
provided with MOSXS (which sucked) did not set attachments +x.

The Mac does not have the same kind of tradition of scripting, so it has
been significantly less of a problem on even MacOS.

"Linux means never having to delete your love mail." -- Don Marti