[svlug] eWeek article on MS Outlook

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 15 15:16:18 PDT 2000

Quoting Ray Olszewski (ray at comarre.com):

> Only recent ones. MSDOS has no such concept, and if it was implemented
> in Windows 3.1, it was implemented incompletely.

To be sure.

[more good points snipped, for lack of anything to add]

> Your concluding comment, below, applies equally to MacOSs at least up
> to 7.5.

Interesting question to contemplate:  Do the BSD-based MacOS X Server
and (beta) MacOS X versions perpetuate this conceptual model?  If so,
then they may pose the same risk for user-authority viruses / trojans /
worms as we've seen lately on MS Windows 9x and NT.

> (Based on experience on beginners' lists, I'm starting to ask myself
> how much it, specifically the sentiment in the final sentence, applies to
> GUIs like KDE as well.)

And thank you for articulating precisely what I was wondering.  Now
would be an excellent time to start checking that userland tools on
Linux avoid importing this "open/launch" design error, as it is clearly
a hazard.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                           "Make vole, not raw."