[svlug] eWeek article on MS Outlook

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre at deirdre.net
Mon May 15 17:49:16 PDT 2000

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> The concept derives, at least proximately, from the Mac OS, and was
> ... by Mac loyalists in the 1980s, at least ... touted as one of the
> striking supriorities of Mac OS: that double-clicking on a program
> launched the program, while double-clicking on a data file did the
> "same" thing -- it launched the program "associated" with the file
> ("association" on the Mac was (still is? I'm way out of date on MacOS)
> even more invisible to the user than MS's use of extensions).

It's not THAT invisible. Each application is supposed to have icon types
for each file type that it supports. Thus, if the file is "owned" by a
given application, it will have that app's icon.

Furthermore, it can be checked readily: click on the file, then type
Command-I (or select "Get Info" from the File menu. It'll say Kind: "Foo
document" where Foo is the name of the app that owns it. This goes way
back, but is current as of MacOS 9 (which the computer to my left is
running).

What *isn't* obvious is what other programs support that file type.

> I'm not disagreeing with your main point, Rick ... I quite agree with
> you, in fact. It's just worth remembering that MS didn't dream up this
> idea (did Apple? or does it derive, like so much else, from PARC?) or
> have a monopoly on it.

I don't believe it came from PARC.

"Linux means never having to delete your love mail." -- Don Marti