[svlug] [SmithConcepts] Original Mac designer/developer talks about why he moved to OSS GUI development ...

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs at theseus.com
Mon May 15 14:08:29 PDT 2000

[SmithConcepts] Original Mac designer/developer talks about why he moved to OSS GUI development ...

>From ./ interview with Andy Hertzfield, and why he moved from Steve
Job's Apple "religion" to the OSS "revolution":

"I'd been depressed about the lack of innovation and the
 stagnation and the anti-user framework that the software
 industry had fallen into.  The idealism of the computer industry
 had led to this cul-de-sac, where no one was really happy with
 their machines.

 The basic problem is that the applications want to converge on a
 common system infrastructure.  That's what's good for the
 applications, good for the users, good for everyone, to be built
 on top of a common system software base.

 The problem is that when that common system software base is
 controlled by a proprietary interest, the company that controls it
 necessarily becomes anti-innovative.  In order to maintain their
 control, they are at odds with the users and the developers."

I have never seen this written better!!!  It talks about why
Windows should NOT be the "standard" (and I hear many Windows
bigots argue).

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs at theseus.com,b.j.smith at ieee.org
  Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html