[svlug] Evil Backquotes (was Re: how to copy a bunch of "." files?)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun May 14 13:26:55 PDT 2000

On Sun, 14 May 2000 11:38:39 -0700 (PDT)
dfox  <dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com> wrote:

>> As far as I know, they're non-standard -- they certainly they
>> don't work in many ksh's.  And they're hard for the eye to
>> distinguish from

> AFAIK, ksh isn't as widely-used as bash/sh or csh. csh still seems
> to be a 'standard' shell -- even some linux people I've known use
> tcsh for root, even though that's not distribution-standard.

This is seems variant depending on markets for the commercial
Unixes.  Users of the big SysV/POSIX champions (eg HP, IRIX) I've
found are likely to be ksh/POSIX shell based (possibly because their
csh variations are poor).  Users of more heavily BSD derived systems
(eg Sun/SunOS (Solaris is too damned new)) seem to prefer csh
variations.

There's also an apparent correlation between preferred shall and
universities one attended (sort of like Berkeley's characteristic vi
preference as versus Emacs), but I haven't paid attention to that.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu