[svlug] Kingston KNE110TX ethernet card

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun May 14 13:21:09 PDT 2000

On Sun, 14 May 2000 11:54:58 -0700
Marc MERLIN <marc_news at valinux.com> wrote:

> I was using the PPPoE package from the roaringpenguin page (look
> in freshmeat). It worked fairly well but don't expect your
> connection (and your dynamic IP) to stay up for weeks at a time.

Aye, I have experience with PPPoE from my last apartment where I
used the kernel version of PPPoE support as versus the user-space
one.  Average uptime there for the connection ranged from a few
hours to four or five days.  The main problem was that PPP would not
detect when the connection went down, necessitating a watcher
process that tested the connection and reset it if found down.

> For $15 more, you can get a real ISP and a static IP from
> rawbandwith (http://www.tsoft.com/)

While I haven't checked prices recently, I just got 768K DSL
installed (and running very happily thankyouverymuch since
yesterday) via Concentric/Covad with 5 static IPs.  Cost is
~$70/month with no install fees.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu