[svlug] Acer 620 USB Scanner

dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com
Sun May 14 12:04:35 PDT 2000

> Let me expand that question a bit.  Which manufacturers, if any,

It doesn't seem to be a whole lot. OTOH, there are some good ones:
ones that'll even say 'linux' on their display boxes, rather than
'requires windows'. Mediatrix was/is one, for sound cards, but they
were expensive at the time I saw them.

> other stuff at http://linux.3dfx.com/.  So I went with 3dfx.  (Which
> reminds me, I need to email them and tell them I bought one of their
> products and why.)

Excellent that you would do that. Any manufacturer that is that
linux-friendly and open should be patronized. There's been a lot
of the opposite (remember diamond?).

> Anybody know of any manufacturers doing the same (or similar) with
> scanners?

Most should be supported. Since USB was mentioned, I don't know. But
isn't USB support expected soon, if not already available, in
development kernels?

> Bill
David E. Fox                     Census         Thanks for letting me
dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com        2000          change magnetic patterns
Be Counted: http://www.census.gov               on your hard disk.