[svlug] post-install/pre-remove does not work (modules.conf)

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Sun May 14 11:11:27 PDT 2000

  this is my previous question about serial module from different
perspective, I hope somebody will have something to say (relevant:-)

  it looks like post install and pre-remove directives for serial module
are not working. I have following lines in /etc/modules.conf:

post-install serial /etc/init.d/setserial modload > /dev/null 2>
/dev/null
pre-remove serial /etc/init.d/setserial modsave  > /dev/null 2>
/dev/null

  /etc/setserial is a script, even when I redirected it to real file
(not /dev/null) there was no trace of it being executed. if I copy&paste
it to command line, it works ok (it saves/loads the configuration into
/var/run/setserial.conf)

  any ideas how to debug this situation? everything looks normal (there
are no error messages) but it simply does not work (I see no effect of
/etc/setserial)

  this is on debian unstable system (I haven't seen any setserial bug
reported).

  TIA

	erik