[svlug] Kernel bug report script -- any interest?

kmself@ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 13 01:16:27 PDT 2000

As some folks on this list know, I've had a sick system mysteriously
getting kernel oopses and then crashing, for the past few months.  I've
become familiar with the kernel bug report process.

Thought occured that most of the information in the bug report could be
filled out automatically.  I've created a shell script based on
/usr/src/linux/REPORTING-BUGS, and would like to know if there's any
interest in such a tool.  I'd also like to know what inter-version
incompatibilities there are to worry about.

It's nothing grand, but convenient as hell.  It fits very nicely with a
watchdog cron script to watch for the Oops (there is usually a
several-hours grace period before system failure), do some
housecleaning, send a page, and, natch, file a bug report with current
system information, which might be useful in some context.

Please contact me if you'd like to review the script or know who I
should send it to.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>         http:/www.netcom.com/~kmself
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/