[svlug] Peering

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri May 12 21:58:32 PDT 2000

On Fri, 12 May 2000 18:39:38 -0700
Todd A Lyons <todd at mrball.net> wrote:

> J C Lawrence wrote:
>> The distinction betwene Tier 1 and Tier2 is rapidly becoming
>> meaningless.  The name of the game currently is peering, not how
>> big a pipe you have coming into your site, or even necessarily
>> how close you are to MAE.  Who do you peer with?  How many other
>> local networks are your peered with?  How well are they peered?
>> What is the bandwidth of your peering connections?  Effectively,
>> what is the size, spread, and thoroughness of your peering
>> network?

> Where can I find information on peering?

Peering is a schmooging job.  All it really is is networks agreeing
to carry each others traffic and to provide interconnect poin ts for
each other.  Its a human relations problem, not a technical problem
as far as getting it done.  Who do you know?  How much do they like
you?  How much do you like them?  Wanna trade backscratches?

I'm at Zocalo.  Zocalo is peered with Via.Net at the exchange.
Voila.  I get really really good bandwidth to anything on the Palo
Alto ring.  Zocalo has an oversubscribed DS3(?) for their peering
connection to Alter.Net.  Ergo, I get around 40Kb/sec to/from there
despite the fact that I'm also sitting on an OC12 (which has a much
longer/more expensive route to Alter.Met as it terminates I forget
where, but not Alter).

So you have a fat pipe.  Whoopie.  Its no use if you can't plug that
fat pipe into something.  Its no use if the other end of that pipe
is a skinny pipe.  Its no use if it plugs into the middle of nowhere
and all the routes from there to anywhere useful/interesting are
loooooong.  So, you peer.  This makes your average route length to
interesting places short.  It makes your bandwidth charges on your
expensive links lower.  It means that you benefit 'coz your users
get to your peer faster, and his customers benefit 'coz they get to
you faster.  Plex all that thru an exchange and you start
aggregating and getting predictability in your traffic controls and
expenses.

Think of it like plumbing.  You want the shortest possible pipe.
Always.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu