[svlug] Off the list?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri May 12 19:26:06 PDT 2000

I asked (almost) this very question a few weeks ago and Rick sort of
answered it then (at least he gave me a good enough hint to get started).

A majordomo-like interlocutor for *subscribing* to mailman lists would be
easy to write. One for *unsubscribing* would be trickier, since mailman uses
a password-authentication scheme that majordomo doesn't use.

Simpler would be just writing a (trivially easy) program that responded to
ALL messages sent to (in the present case) majordomo at svlug.org with an
automated reply directing the requestor to the mailman facilities for
unsubscribing. This could be the Web interface, an e-mail interface (mailman
has one; Rick's earlier reply to me, presumably in the list archives, has
the details); or both.

So, the basic idea is that you don't have to maintain the old functionality
... but you can and should use the old functionality to redirect people to
the new system.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray at comarre.com