[svlug] Re: national security, taking it personally

Rick Kwan kenobi at coruscant.lightsaber.com
Fri May 12 17:05:28 PDT 2000

On Fri, 2000 May 12, Bryan -TheBS- Smith <thebs at theseus.com> replied:

> On Fri, 12 May 2000, Rick Kwan wrote:
> >   * mixing of government classified and sensitive personal data on
> >     the same computer or media.  (Apparantly, the classified data
> >     was thought to be destroyed.)
>
> Classified systems can never be used, viewed or even in the
> proximity of persons nor located in facilities that are not
> "classified."

Well, yes that is true.  And I believe someone had taken pains to
declassify these particular systems.  (Now, is there such a thing as an
Orange Book Mac?  I don't know.  Actually, I can't imagine any Orange
Book machine performing too well as a personal productivity machine.)

> Likewise, whenever media is used in a classified system, it is
> always considered "classified" from then on.

So, in this case, people at the highest levels circumvented their
own system of procedures with their personal wisdom and judgement.
They concluded that the classified data was gone, and it wasn't.

> There are many other rules.  The only time you can use a system for
> both classified and non-classified uses is if you strictly separate
> any and all data *AND* facilities between a system running in a
> classified mode from the non-classified mode.  When running in
> non-classified mode, none of the same storage devices can be used
> as are used in the classified mode (e.g., put the external drive,
> including the boot OS and files for classified mode, etc... in a
> locked case), *AND* the facilities must be made secure from various
> electronic monitoring systems.

No argument there.

My point toward the end is that politicians and high level bureaucrats
they could unwittingly fall into the same traps as this Director
of Central Intelligence, they might start to take more seriously
the choice of platform that they are running on.

> -- TheBS
> --
>  Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
>   Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html

--Rick Kwan, Lightsaber Computing
  rick.kwan at lightsaber.com