[svlug] Re: When does product tying stop being just an anti-trust issue and start becoming a national security issue???

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs at theseus.com
Fri May 12 13:27:42 PDT 2000

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Ian B MacLure wrote:
> >Of course, there was a military ship towed due to it's computer
> >problems... Maybe this will bring the era of peace on Earth. Give windoze
> >to all militants of this world and watch them crash.
>
> 	Ah yes, the USS Yorktown/Smartship(?) incident.
> 	There were two ( well three but operator error would be
> meaningless without
> 	necessary and sufficient preconditions ) things wrong there (

What surprises me is that, in person, these operators could not get
multiple, redundant, Windows NT-powered systems to reboot in any
order ... *YET* ... the single 68300 (ColdFire) mainboard-powered,
GNU/GCC developed and compiled running BSD-based VxWorks RTOS Mars
Pathfinder recovered from a serious crash tens of millions of miles
away in no time**.

You'd figure the Navy would know better.  I mean, on boats you
skimp on the facilities, you skimp on the accommodations and "lean
is mean" is the attitude all around ... *EXCEPT* for the bloated OS
running everything!

-- TheBS

** NOTE: "No time" is relevant since it took ~3 minutes just for
the JPL operators' commands to issue and return results for each
and every command.

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs at theseus.com,b.j.smith at ieee.org
  Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html