[svlug] Don't sweat it, just rag'n ya! -- Fw: 44% Off O'Reilly & Associates Books!

Emmanuel-Robert Mayssat emayssat at valinux.com
Thu May 11 15:07:14 PDT 2000

rfc2646 ( http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/rfc/rfc2646.txt )
states that text/plain standard must support 997 char / line,
and that 80 is just a convention ( not the standard  ! ).

the rendering is up to the client MUA.
ex: terminal oriented MUA must use the terminal capabilities.
ex: Netscape will display only 1 long line

--
Emmanuel

 Quoting Bryan -TheBS- Smith (thebs at theseus.com):

 > But in your defense, I don't think forwarding 20 HTML pages would
 > make up for all the crap TheBS spits out in just 1 day.  ;->>>

 Hoping not to sound too picky, but it'd _also_ be nice if he bothered to
 set his MUA to post lines limited to fewer than 80 characters, rather
 than paragraph-long.  This is e-mail, not the Web.

 Yes, I know that that MS Outlook thingie defaults to broken behaviour in
 that area (as in others), and recall that Netscape Mail does likewise.
 But users should correct the defaults before foisting their owtput on
 the Net.

 --
 Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
 Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,

| Robert-Emmanuel Mayssat                      @ VA Linux, Inc       |
| https//vaweb.valinux.com/~emayssat           Desk # : 408/542-8759 |