[svlug] DSL woes

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at best.com
Fri May 12 01:08:15 PDT 2000

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 12:22:20AM -0700, Rafael wrote:
> On Tue, 9 May 2000, Jeffrey B. Siegal wrote:
>

> It's ironic that phone conversations cannot be recorded without warning to
> the other party while email can. I don't see the difference since both
> mediums convey info between 2 or more parties. Email gets backed up
> somewhere most of the time and is/was used against one or the other party.
> Email was used as evidence against MS while their phone conversations were
> not. Double standards IMO.
>
> How about phone conversations over IP? Can you backup those bits without
> telling anybody? Or do you setup a backup utility to ignore phone over IP?
> Not all streaming data on digital lines gets recorded on disks of course,
> but it can be done. How do you know if poIP is being recorded?

---end quoted text---

Excellent point for the VoIP, but the email is different. It starts out
digital and has always been stored in a file before sending it and before
the recipient opens it. There is no reason to suppose that the sysadmin on
a computer should delete those files based on privacy. Now, the VoIP is
quite another story. Both parties would be speaking and, at least in
principle, there is no need to store a stream: Doing so is a modification of
the algorithm that facilitates the actual conversation. So one could argue
that the right to private _conversation_ should extend to VoIP. OTOH, many
implementations will save VoIP to a file, so will it still be considered
private or not? Anybody have any information on this?

c,
Karen
--
----