[svlug] DSL woes

Rafael raffi at linwin.com
Fri May 12 00:22:20 PDT 2000

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Jeffrey B. Siegal wrote:

> > > The PUC's answer (I kid you not,
> > > I asked two different PUC people the same question) is that I have to
> > > get a confirmed appointment -- IN WRITING -- from PacBell, before
> > > they will be able to take action, because essentially, they go "oh
> > > its your word against theirs, do you have any documentation?"
>
> Have at least one impartial witness monitor the call, and then have the
> witness file a sworn affidavit with the PUC attesting to the confirmed
> appointment.

Companies usually warn you about recording the conversation for quality
purposes. You can announce the same at the begining of the conversation.
They might take it as their internal recording :-)

You could say that English is your second language and you need to record
the conversation to make sure you don't misunderstand something :-)

It's ironic that phone conversations cannot be recorded without warning to
the other party while email can. I don't see the difference since both
mediums convey info between 2 or more parties. Email gets backed up
somewhere most of the time and is/was used against one or the other party.
Email was used as evidence against MS while their phone conversations were
not. Double standards IMO.

How about phone conversations over IP? Can you backup those bits without
telling anybody? Or do you setup a backup utility to ignore phone over IP?
Not all streaming data on digital lines gets recorded on disks of course,
but it can be done. How do you know if poIP is being recorded?

   O__  ---- Rafael Skodlar
  c/ /'_ --- Linux Imagineer since 1994