[svlug] When does product tying stop being just an anti-trust issue and start becoming a national security issue???

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Thu May 11 20:39:23 PDT 2000

At 8:01 PM -0700 5/11/00, dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com wrote:
>  > anti-trust issue, and start talking about it from a damn national
>>  security issue!!!  I think that's exactly what people are missing
>
>Indeed. I wonder how many .gov and .mil sites were hit by this
>latest virus. Of course, as that article I pointed people to
>yesterday says, why was a 'secure' computer with military sensitive
>information being used as an email machine anyway?

This may sound silly, but do you expect people to have to walk into
some mainframe lab and read the bytes manually by sniffing the hard
drive of the "secure" machine?

People have workstations, so they can (if they have appropriate
privileges) read secure data off the "big iron" and (hopefully) it is
adequately removed from the workstation (erasure, overwritten, etc.
etc.) automatically when the task is complete.