[svlug] Don't sweat it, just rag'n ya! -- Fw: 44% Off O'Reilly & Associates Books!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 11 15:29:00 PDT 2000

Quoting Emmanuel-Robert Mayssat (emayssat at valinux.com):

> rfc2646 ( http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/rfc/rfc2646.txt )
> states that text/plain standard must support 997 char / line,
> and that 80 is just a convention ( not the standard  ! ).

You seem to be implying that this somehow magically makes lines
over 80 columns _not_ obnoxious and irritating.  That unstated
assumption, not to mention your tendentious use of the term
"standard", is more than dubious.

> the rendering is up to the client MUA.
> ex: terminal oriented MUA must use the terminal capabilities.
> ex: Netscape will display only 1 long line

Your points are essentially irrelevant to the preceding discussion.

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,