[svlug] When does product tying stop being just an anti-trust issue and start becoming a national security issue???

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs at theseus.com
Thu May 11 13:11:39 PDT 2000

When does product tying stop being just an anti-trust issue and start becoming a national security issue???

I say screw the freak'n argument on product tying from an
anti-trust issue, and start talking about it from a damn national
security issue!!!  I think that's exactly what people are missing
and I have been arguing for over a year now (always technical,
NEVER political).

Case in point, the newest IE/cookie hole is Windows only, as it
does NOT affect IE/MacOS or IE/Solaris.  I know this is a BAD
EXAMPLE, but there are much better ones out there (just picked the
most current example).

Add in the fact of the ever-rampant macro virus, (WHICH HAS BEEN
LARGELY BENIGN I REMIND EVERYONE!!!) with the fact that even the
forthcoming IE 5.5 will still "leave the freak'n door open" so Joe
user doesn't have to make that button click to verify he really
wants to run that trojan horse disguised as a funny cartoon.

Really, where does this end?  I mean, we have yet to see a REALLY
DESTRUCTIVE macro virus yet!  What happens when it hits?!?!?!

So, forget the DOJ and the courts.  Send in the secret service and
the FBI and force Microsoft to change the defaults, remove some
features that make this a freak'n nightmare, and let's get back to
being secure (let alone productive!).

My $0.02 ...

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs at theseus.com,b.j.smith at ieee.org
  Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html