[svlug] Is there a GOOD source for web-based email?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu May 11 12:26:16 PDT 2000

I was struck that none of the responses to your posting (so far) have
addressed the questions you actually posed.

Whether such an application actually exist, I do not know. It would not be
all that hard to write one. Web-based list archives commonly thread, for
example. I can see how to do it, and I'm not unusually good at applications
programming, so there must be, at the least, tens of thousands of
programmers around who could write the needed code.

The difficulty -- and it's a difficulty more in people's minds these days
than was true a few months ago -- is in coming up with a good business case
for yet another Web-based e-mail service of any sort. After the initial
programming work is done, what remains is the drudgier, sysadmin-level work
of keeping servers, connections, the usual folderol, running reliably ...
and of paying for the thing.

What are your thoughts about how to make such a service profitable? What
monthly fee would you yourself (just for example) pay for such a service?

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray at comarre.com