[svlug] LyX is already here, and the project is *NOT* doable anyway -- Re: WYSIWYG Latex Word Processor

kmself@ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 11 12:07:17 PDT 2000

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 10:34:23AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting J. Reeves Hall (overcode at cc.gatech.edu):
>
> > My discrete math professor was bent on using Word for his lecture
> > slides and review sheets (including all the symbols used for
> > propositional logic), and the result was the most awful hack of
> > typesetting I've ever witnessed. It was UGLY, and I had great
> > difficulty viewing it under Linux (StarOffice, AbiWord, and
> > WordPerfect all managed to screw it up - what about standards?). To
> > make my point, I typeset one of the review sheets in LaTeX the night
> > before an exam, converted it to a very nice-looking web page with
> > LaTeX2HTML, and posted it to the newsgroup.
>
> Those who are doing presentation slides should consider MagicPoint
> (http://www.mew.org/mgp/).  I've seen Heather Stern demonstrate it
> at a BayLISA meeting, and it's quite impressive.
>
> It's free software under the GNU General Public Licence.

The one thing lacking from MGP at this point is a luser authoring tool.
vi/emacs is fine for the rest of us, and the tag syntax is simple and
straightforward.  I've set up a constrained account on my workstation
at the office for people to try it, and have discovered in the process
that it has a tendency to hose X sessions when run remotely.

One of the ubercool features of MGP is that it allows you to run X
clients from within the presentation itself.  Quite sweet.

PS:  Rick, check your "Mail-Followup-To:" header -- "rick" isn't a
locally known user.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>         http:/www.netcom.com/~kmself
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/