[svlug] Kingston KNE110TX ethernet card

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu May 11 11:49:08 PDT 2000

Congratulations on managing to get an external, Ethernet-based DSL modem out
of PacBell. Perhaps they are finally learning that not all their customers
have Win98 hosts with USB ports!

The Kingston Ethernet card works with the latest version of tulip.o, a
version considerably newer than what ships on most CDs (but I *think* is
included with kernel 2.2.15 ... it wasn't with 2.2.13, though). So the first
thing to do is to see if the card will work with the driver you have.

But, if it doesn't, don't lose heart ... the Kingston is just another
Ethernet card. Use whatever Ethernet card you already have running in your
Linux host. The PacBell installers just don't know much about Ethernet, so
they make it sound like this particular NIC is something special.

If you are getting the version of the service that uses PPPoE (PPP over
Ethernet), and you almost surely are, your real concern should be finding an
appropriate PPPoE package for Linux. They do exist, and other who got PB DSL
after the PPPoE cutover date should be able to help you there.

Sorry, but I can't help with your Mandrake-specific questions.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray at comarre.com