[svlug] LyX is already here, and the project is *NOT* doable anyway -- Re: WYSIWYG Latex Word Processor

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 11 10:34:23 PDT 2000

Quoting J. Reeves Hall (overcode at cc.gatech.edu):

> My discrete math professor was bent on using Word for his lecture
> slides and review sheets (including all the symbols used for
> propositional logic), and the result was the most awful hack of
> typesetting I've ever witnessed. It was UGLY, and I had great
> difficulty viewing it under Linux (StarOffice, AbiWord, and
> WordPerfect all managed to screw it up - what about standards?). To
> make my point, I typeset one of the review sheets in LaTeX the night
> before an exam, converted it to a very nice-looking web page with
> LaTeX2HTML, and posted it to the newsgroup.

Those who are doing presentation slides should consider MagicPoint
(http://www.mew.org/mgp/).  I've seen Heather Stern demonstrate it
at a BayLISA meeting, and it's quite impressive.

It's free software under the GNU General Public Licence.

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,