[svlug] LyX is already here, and the project is *NOT* doable anyway -- Re: WYSIWYG Latex Word Processor

J. Reeves Hall overcode at cc.gatech.edu
Wed May 10 10:07:29 PDT 2000

My discrete math professor was bent on using Word for his lecture slides and review sheets
(including all the symbols used for propositional logic), and the result was the most awful hack of
typesetting I've ever witnessed. It was UGLY, and I had great difficulty viewing it under Linux
(StarOffice, AbiWord, and WordPerfect all managed to screw it up - what about standards?). To make
my point, I typeset one of the review sheets in LaTeX the night before an exam, converted it to a
very nice-looking web page with LaTeX2HTML, and posted it to the newsgroup. I got at least one
"thank you" from a Linux user, but I hope the prof saw it...

I think a program like LyX could do this guy a lot of good. I can understand that he might not want
to learn LaTeX; I've been using it for a year, and I don't feel that I've mastered it. But LyX puts
a very pretty face on the language.

-Reeves