[svlug] Linux/IA-64 will be first to market, but W2K-64 is now booting ...

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs at theseus.com
Thu May 11 06:06:04 PDT 2000

Linux/IA-64 will be first to market, but W2K-64 is now booting ...

Caught this article over on Sm at rtReseller (the only ZD publication
worth anything):
   http://www.zdnet.com/sr/stories/news/0,4538,2567089,00.html

I'm still wondering how much help Microsoft had from Digital on
this (a lot I've heard) and if they really can keep W2K-64 in-sync
with W2K-32.  I doubt it because they cannot even do the same with
Windows 98 and 2000 (nor could/did they with 95 and NT, etc...).

But Linux will be first, including a good margin over
SCO/IBM/Montery.  And I suspect Microsoft's continued re-inventing
the wheel while the rest of the world switches to cross-platform
GNU (GCC, etc...) as well as Linux itself (with vendors taking
time away from Windows to help Linux) will continue to make it
harder and harder for Microsoft to keep compatibility across
platforms.

It's gonna be a bright future!  ;->>>

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs at theseus.com,b.j.smith at ieee.org
  Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html