[svlug] Boot up penguin.

Jan-Albert Venter JAVenter at africon.co.za
Thu May 11 01:21:31 PDT 2000

I have successfully installed RedHat 6.1 on severall AGP systems,
autodetected etc. I have no reall idea about older kernels or distro's tho.
This might be a great default setup for X on other machines tho.
Because it's so universal, kina like windows installing the most basic
driver at first, to be updated later. I am surprized that Linux distro's
don't use it for systems with unsupported video-cards at first.
In my case the card was detected, tho not by debian 2.1 (mmm) but my screen
is not, so in order to get any type of decent action I had always used
custom (dangerous I know) untill I discovered that it works with the Dell
Super VGA (Jostens) Driver, better in fact than on windows.
Of course hacking into your XF86Config is seldomn recommended, but
frustration can make you do such things.
I have blown at least one monitor in my life with a wrong refresh rate mind
you.