[svlug] Boot up penguin.

Bill Jonas bj at netaxs.com
Thu May 11 01:08:57 PDT 2000

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Jan-Albert Venter wrote:

>But the fun  part was, about a quarter of the way through, this cute little
>Tux Penguin image (graphicall) appeared on top of my screen. I  was
>wondering if anybody knows how I did that :-) I wanna try it on my debian
>box.
>Anyway that's my main question. Also, has anybody been able to figure out
>how caldera makes that graphicall lilo bootup ? All I know is that the first
>charachter in /boot/message is an ANSI code or something that swithches the
>screen to graphicall mode. The rest seems to generate the image, but no luck
>finding out how. That is something worth trying to do on Debian.

If it's what I'm thinking it is, it's the framebuffer device (/dev/fb0
(/dev/fb? if you have more than one (won't be there unless it's
active))).  Basically, instead of using video hardware acceleration, the
CPU does all the work and just pushes the bits through the SVGA port.

It causes massive slowdowns on anything but $REALLY_FAST machines.  On
the plus side, your graphics adapter doesn't have to be supported by X
(just use the XFBDev server).  I know a little bit about this because
until recently, I was forced to use an ATI 3D Rage IIc.  Which is
supported by the Mach64 X server.  Unfortunately, the graphics adapter
was integrated onto the motherboard and must've used a non-standard
chipset.  Things are much better since I got my Voodoo3, though.

That reminds me:  That adapter was AGP.  Are there issues with AGP
support in Linux right now?  That could've been the problem...  I've
tried doing some web research, hit linuxdoc.org, but haven't been able
to find out much.

Anyway, the framebuffer is enabled by saying 'yes' to the experimental
code option (at least, that's the way in 2.2), and then selecting the
framebuffer options later on (with 'make menuconfig' it's one of the
last menus.  Can't remember much more than that 'cause it's been a while
since I recompiled my kernel.

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/