[svlug] Mapquest to find your CO (was: DSL woes)

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed May 10 20:43:19 PDT 2000

At 08:13 PM 5/10/00 -0700, dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com wrote:

>Seems to work. I found where my CO was, at least -- near Evelyn, a little
>north of Reed, west of Fair Oaks. I'm close to Fair Oaks and 101. Now it
>doesn't tell me specifically how far that is: I suppose I could get driv-
>ing directions from there to my house, but that wouldn't necessarily be
>"as the crow flies." What is the limit anyway? 12000 feet or something?

You don't care about distance "as the crow flies". You care about distance
"as the cable lies", and that can be either fairly direct or extraordinarily
indirect. That is why you have to get the telco to tell you if you are close
enough in cable feet for DSL ... and the complexity of cable routes
(combined with lousy databases) is why even the telco sometimes has trouble
answering this question.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray at comarre.com