[svlug] DSL woes - alternatives

Aaron T Porter atporter at primate.net
Wed May 10 13:51:10 PDT 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Alvin Oga wrote:

> wow...thanx for the info...7M for $12/mon is cool....
> and is it still active ??

	Like I said, that was $12/mo for the copper loop, and it was nowhere
	near the bay area (South Western Ohio to be exact).

> and i wanna try it too but i'm NOT willing to spend the time ( yet )
> to call pacbell/gte/mci/??? and get the run around....
>
> lets see if someone out there goes and makes the calls ???
> ( i can play the other end of the line for those in the santa clara
> ( area that need to get to an itty-bitty isp
>
> that'd solve the dsl problems as long as the copper wire works....
> at some reasonable speed

	This would quickly stop being cost efficient (like after 4 or so
	users) and besides, what kind of bandwidth would you be connecting to
	at the top end?  Of course, with a little routing fun, and two sets
	of DSL equipmment, you can get fairly cheap ADSL modems working in
	tandem to give you high speed both directions (ie a 6m x 128k and a
	128k x 6m).  Never got around to trying that.