[svlug] DSL woes

Marc Merlin marc_news at valinux.com
Wed May 10 00:20:38 PDT 2000

On mar, mai 09, 2000 at 10:57:57 -0700, Christopher Young wrote:
> > > Later I upgraded my service from the Basic rate to the Enhanced
> > > because I wanted to register my own domain name with PBI.  I was
> > > surprised to see my bandwidth change from 384K to 1.2M!  Guess those
> >
> > Wow ... and how much more $$ is the Enhanced rate? Isn't it just $70?
>
> $80 really.  Basic is $39/month, enhanced $79/month.

For $65, you get a static IP with 1.5Mbit/128kbit from Tsoft/raw bandwidth
(http://www.tsoft.com/).
When pacbell doesn't disconnect my line, it works just fine :-)

Unless  you need  5 IPs,  please do  not buy  the $80  enhanced service,  it
validates their  screwing us over removing  the static IP from  the $40 plan
(and their $40 plan is unfair competition  because Tsoft has to pay $40 just
for the Pacbell DSL line, and then they charge $25 for their bandwidth.
PacBell used  to charge $40  for the line and  $10 for the  bandwidth (which
they would lose money on) and now they reduced the ISP side to $0 a month.

Talk about fair competition...

Marc

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information