[svlug] Virus FUD

Bill Jonas bj at netaxs.com
Tue May 9 21:18:38 PDT 2000

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Marc Merlin wrote:

>Wait a minute,
>Are you saying that the mere fact of viewing the Email runs the attachment?
>How about the user who says "I saw the subject and I deleted the message
>without opening it". Is that possible?
>
>Forgive me for those questions, I am completely clueless about outlook

I used it for several months last year right after I got a computer,
while I was still learning about Linux (and didn't know any better ;) ).
By default, the silly thing will display messages in a preview pane,
which takes up most of the screen (lower right; a list of emails in
the current folder is in the upper/middle right, and the list of
folders/accounts/newsgroups is on the left).  I seem to recall that you
can disable that (but I'm not sure).  Which does you precious little
good when you are viewing messages (which is done in a new window, and
the list is hidden from you) and you keep clicking next, or, IIRC,
typing "." or ">".

"Microsoft -- Where does the author of an email virus want to send it
today?"

"Microsoft -- Designed for insecurity"

With apologies to IBM -- "Linux: Think different"

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/