[svlug] Virus FUD

dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com
Tue May 9 19:49:50 PDT 2000

> question of why a user would use defectively designed software -- much
> less persist in doing so after having its poor design pointed out.

Sometimes, I suppose, because it's easier. After all, the person who
sends pics of their birthday or whatever to relatives can just attach
the file, and (presumably, as it can do in Netscape and other browsers)
can just show the pic in-line, without the user having to save off the
attachment, know what a jpeg is, and know what software (typically
none in a Windows install) to use to view them critters :).

But beyond that, autorun is not a good thing, and if anything, should
be limited to those types of files that in themselves can't harm a
system; and this means any executable code.

> If a Linux user manages (e.g.) to clobber his home directory by using
> badly designed software (or via any other method), and mentions this to
> me, my customary reaction is "Don't do that, then."

Been there, done that:

$ rm -f * tar.gz

Even a misplaced  space can be harmful. It only had to happen to me
once to make sure to (as they say) "sit on one's hands" before doing
stuff like this, especially as root.

At least if he's not root his damage can be minimal.

> really a problem.  _Executing_ it is.   As the saying goes, don't do
> that, then.

Right.

> Rick Moen                                              -- Don Marti
> rick (at) linuxmafia.com
David E. Fox                     Census         Thanks for letting me
dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com        2000          change magnetic patterns
Be Counted: http://www.census.gov               on your hard disk.