[svlug] DSL woes

Jeffrey B. Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Tue May 9 11:50:00 PDT 2000

"Derek J. Balling" wrote:
> the beep has to be audible, and when they hear it (every 10-15
> seconds I believe is the mandated time frame) they'll simply ask: "Is
> this conversation being recorded?", to which you must (legally) say
> "Yes", at which point they'll release the call.
>
> Having been the guy in the call center pushing "RLS", I can say that
> with near certainty. :)

If we're talking about regulated services, the utilty is required to
provide customer service.  I seriously doubt that the regulations allow
them to deny you service because you are recording the call (though I
could be wrong).  If this is the case, then inform the agent that you
are recording the call, and when they hang up on you, file a complaint
with the PUC for refusal to provide customer service, using the tape as
evidence.  Keep doing this until you get service.

Of course, you need to have extra time on your hands, and a desire to
make life difficult for the utility...