[svlug] My take on apps -- RE: DocBook, Framemaker on Linux

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs at theseus.com
Tue May 9 08:40:56 PDT 2000

On Tue, 09 May 2000, Ian B MacLure wrote:
> 	Any feel for staroffice. My take is that its not ready for the
> 	sort of industrial strength usage you would put it too but for
> 	most "civilian" uage it seems fine,

I've been using StarOffice's StarImpress for almost 3 years now
(since version 3.1).  I actually prefer it over PowerPoint.

Other than that, this is my take on apps:

 - Word Processing:  Hate all (always have on any OS)
 - Text Processing:  LyX w/SGML and/or DocBook
                     (why waste time with WP?!?!?!)
 - DTP/Frame Layout:  FrameMaker (Linux Demo), KWord? (future)

 - Spreadsheet:  Gnumeric, StarCalc for Linux/Windows compat
                 (I hate Excel,

 - Presentation:  StarImpress on any OS, period
            (HTML w/browser is also good,
             PowerPoint is the only Microsoft app that is
             tolerable, but SI is much, better IMHO, esp new 5.2!)

 - HTML Editor:  StarWord is a very good WYSIWYG editor
            (if you use Netscape Composer, dump it for SW!!!),
            otherwise, it's GVIM for me, or LyX/LaTeX conversion
            for documentation (see the HOWTO HOWTO), and W3C's
            Amaya when I want 100% standard HTML (start with GVIM
            or LyX/LaTeX, then pull into Amaya for *TRUE* WYSIWYG
            preview and syntax correction/cleaning).

If you have a mixed Windows-Linux world, it's StarOffice.  It's
word processor, StarWord, is adequate (just like MS-Word, but I'm
biased because I HATE word processors, period), although its
spreadsheet, StarCalc, really sucks (at least on Excel conversion
-- Gnumeric is 10x better).  StarImpress ROCKS and it has replaced
PowerPoint (the only tolerable Microsoft app) and the new 5.2 beta
adds all kinds of new features (leading over PP 2000??? ;-).

I find StarWord is a perfect replacement for Netscape Composer.  If
you are using Composer chuck it and start using StarWord.  Amaya is
another excellent WYSIWYG HTML editor, 100% standards compliant,
but unlike the others, you canNOT simultanously WYSIWYG and markup
edit (e.g., it's good for post-processing for final publishing
IMHO).

Being an old AmiPro/1-2-3 user (and miss them both greatly,
because even Excel still does not have all the features of my
5-year old 1-2-3 release 4, let alone fast and sleek AmiPro), I
anxiously await KWord.  I've played with AbiWord and it looks like
yet another word processor.  KWord is a frame-layout DTP package
that should cater to us old AmiPro users (I'm hoping ;-).

> 	I <option><s> ( or equivalent ) every few minutes or so as an
> 	automatic reflex. A habit picked up many years ago on IBM
> 	and DEC iron of various weights and its mostly worked for
> 	me but yes if I were writing extensively I'd be backing
> 	up to zip a lot and burning CDs daily.

Yeah, but that does LITTLE if the save command in Word corrupts the
file, and even the backup file.  Data integrity, NOT save
speed/backgrounding should be priority #1 / default in Word.  Hence
why I have to complete exit Word, then use the file manager to copy
to 2 other systems (as well as use Xdelta to check-in on the file
server itself for revision control).  Simply using Save-As (to
another drive/system) in Word can cause corruptions too!

F--- you very much Microsoft for making features/speed the standard
at the expense of data integrity.

> 	"Samba Unleashed".....  Hmmm, $39.95 @fatbrain.

Steve Litt, a former CA resident and recent Central Florida
transplant is the main author.

> 	We actually have a samba setup in the office to support the few
> 	Wintel boxes we have ( well one W2K user who pisses and moans
> 	about how "we" need to convert our entire operation to W2K [ including
> 	the Flight Simulators { 15 ton boxes on hydraulic jack types IYKWIM } ]
> 	so he won't have to run W2K in "crippled" mode ).

As a longtime NT user (since before 3.1 was even released), I
*AVOID* Microsoft solutions at all costs.  I have personally
experienced drastically lower TCO and higher uptimes as a result of
using OSS solutions.  Any change Microsoft had at producing an
half-way descent OS died when they created "Chicago."

Again, tell your friend that he needs to *AVOID* using Windows 2000
at all costs!  It's an invite to slavery.  And I speak from
Microsoft's own cronies too!!!

Use the tools that get the job done best.  Right now, Linux fills
about 75% of those roles IMHO.  Now if I could get us over to
100% StarOffice.

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs at theseus.com,b.j.smith at ieee.org
  Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html