[svlug] Virus FUD

Marc Merlin marc_news at valinux.com
Tue May 9 10:09:27 PDT 2000

On mar, mai 09, 2000 at 08:08:07 -0700, Walter Reed wrote:
> In the three pane view of outlook, you don't actually have to "open" it,
> just scroll over it and you are toast. This is the view that shows the
> email in the lower window and the subject / author in the upper window.
> As you scroll through the messages, each message is opened, and any nasty
> javascript or (h)activex script is executed. This has already been proven.

Wait a minute,
Are you saying that the mere fact of viewing the Email runs the attachment?
How about the user who says "I saw the subject and I deleted the message
without opening it". Is that possible?

Forgive me for those questions, I am completely clueless about outlook

Marc

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information