[svlug] Virus FUD

Justin F. Knotzke shampoo at cam.org
Tue May 9 08:07:22 PDT 2000

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 10:21:10PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> Receiving a virus isn't a problem.  Unpacking and storing a virus isn't
> really a problem.  _Executing_ it is.   As the saying goes, don't do
> that, then.

	Correct, and what is really interesting at least from the press
articles I have been reading is no one seems to be saying that the best way to
protect yourself from future attacks is to either limit the self-execution
in Outlook or better yet DUMP Outlook.

	People seem to be taking a fatalistic approach that this is the
"Internet's fault" and it's up to the FBI to stop future attacks and until
then the best way to protect oneself is to make sure
you have good virus software. Too little too late really.

	You'd think someone from the mainstream press would point this out. I
guess everyone in the mainstream press is using Outlook.

	Justin.

Justin F. Knotzke shampoo at cam.org
http://www.shampoo.ca  http://www.delta-tek.com
pgp public key: finger shampoo at shampoo.ca