[svlug] It also has DocBook support -- Re: Framemaker on Linux

Rick Kwan kenobi at coruscant.lightsaber.com
Tue May 9 02:17:13 PDT 2000

I would be surprised if this Linux beta of FM 5.5.6 has SGML
capability.

I am an occasional FrameMaker 5.5.6 on Solaris 7.  (I was a heavy duty
user of FM 4.x and FM 5.1.x.)  I have been able to export XML files
from FM 5.5.6 (so it claims), but not SGML files.  What I got were
HTML-like XML files plus corresponding cascading stylesheet files.
I've had to write Perl filters to massage the XML files into a subset
of DocBook SGML.

My understanding is that FrameMaker+SGML is a separate product which can
read and write SGML files, e.g., those conforming to the DocBook DTD.
It is a superset of standard FrameMaker.

--Rick Kwan, Lightsaber Computing
  rick.kwan at lightsaber.com