[svlug] DSL woes

dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com
Mon May 8 22:29:57 PDT 2000

> I live in Boulder Creek, out in the sticks, in the vast beyond, if the

Hmm. I'm in civilization :), north Sunnyvale. I haven't been able
to ascertain my distance -- they said a few times they'll send out
someone to measure, but they haven't ever called me back.

> For whatever reason I called again a couple months later.  Instead of
> saying no they said they'd send someone out to do a test and lo and
> behold, it passed for the basic service (384K down, 128K up).

Some acquaintances at work are getting DSL. One person says it's
kind of slow, and that she had them over to do the installatinn, and
they dug a hole, and then came back later to finish the install. Mean-
while, she had a hole in her yard for a week, courtesy of PacBell.

Another tells me they have to pay double the $40 since it's not their
line (maybe outside the area)? I don't fully understand this.

> Later I upgraded my service from the Basic rate to the Enhanced
> because I wanted to register my own domain name with PBI.  I was
> surprised to see my bandwidth change from 384K to 1.2M!  Guess those

Wow ... and how much more $$ is the Enhanced rate? Isn't it just $70?

> server but haven't bother trying to changing the registration to point
> to my own static IP instead of PacBell's.

That's one nice thing to have .. static IP.

> /cky
David E. Fox                     Census         Thanks for letting me
dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com        2000          change magnetic patterns
Be Counted: http://www.census.gov               on your hard disk.