[svlug] Virus FUD

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 8 22:21:10 PDT 2000

Quoting dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com (dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com):

> True, but as you say, the problem isn't MAPI, it's the auto running. Not
> only that, but the users in part are to blame.

Almost entirely, I would say (if it's necessary to assign "blame", which
strikes me as less immediately useful than an understanding of the process).

I've had people tell me that the user cannot be expected to understand
what he's doing because his choice of MUA conceals the act of executing
code by calling it an "open" operation.  But that of course begs the
question of why a user would use defectively designed software -- much
less persist in doing so after having its poor design pointed out.

If a Linux user manages (e.g.) to clobber his home directory by using
badly designed software (or via any other method), and mentions this to
me, my customary reaction is "Don't do that, then."

> Companies should have strict email usage policies in place...

Insisting on personal responsibility strikes me as a sufficient policy.

> ... -- where they don't, much the worse, since those people the
> employees share their jokes with are going to be hit with the virus as
> well.

Receiving a virus isn't a problem.  Unpacking and storing a virus isn't
really a problem.  _Executing_ it is.   As the saying goes, don't do
that, then.

--
Cheers,        "Linux means never having to delete your love mail."
Rick Moen                                              -- Don Marti