[svlug] DSL woes

kmself@ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 8 20:58:44 PDT 2000

My off-list response to Marc was that he take this issue to the CPUC, as
well as the CEO of PacBell (Edward Whitacre, Jr., 58 Chairman, CEO), and
local (and, WTF, national) media.  Copies to state and national
representatives wouldn't hurt either.  Fire under the appropriate asses.

While I wouldn't expect PacBell or the CPUC to take actions based on a
single person's commentary, media can have a rather strong lens effect.

Incidentally, I was talking with Marc after the last SVLUG meeting about
a new wireless technology based on line-of-sight laser networks, with 2
gbps capacity.  Company name is TeraBeam, I ran across them in an
article in the Economist.  While it's not there yet, I'd say it's damned
interesting sounding technology, and has the possibility of greatly
reducing the power of landline-based bandwidth providers.

    http://www.terabeam.com/default.asp
    http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory&sid=2000/4/17/15399/2047
    http://www.economist.com/

and possibly, from the Economist's archive:

    http://www.economist.com/archive/view.cgi?action=viewarticle&filename=%2Ficon%2Fd01%2Feconomist%2Fsite%2Ffiparchive%2Ffipfiles%2F2000_out%2F25%3A03%3A2000%2Fecn.070.html&title=Communications+-+Laser-guided&date=25-Mar-00&words=918&dateline=SCOTTSDALE%2C+ARIZONA&first=1&last=2&count=2&query=terabeam&selection=all&startmonth=01&startyear=95&endmonth=05&endyear=2000&x=50&y=5