[svlug] Virus FUD

Emmanuel-Robert Mayssat emayssat at valinux.com
Mon May 8 11:51:54 PDT 2000

With MH you can specify what needs to be done with a special MIME type.
For example with a perl script, I can run it or simply store it or delete it.
If no directive are specified it simply skip or display it ( as I wish )

With HTML email, if it is a multiparti/alternative email
( same content but different formats for each of the mime parts ) you can
specify which part you want to see ( text/ascii for example ).

With a text/html I can display it using lynx or cat or even pipe it in
a third party program.

I was wondering if the same level of flexibility is available in Mutt ?

I don't know anything that MH can not implement... or maybe one thing,
but that is not supported by mutt ( or maybe ! ): external html parts.

This is useful when you run MHonarc ( or equivalent email2html).
The external html part
is simple to understand. I send MIME info with a URL in mime header,
then the MUA is supposed to connect ( http ) to the URL upon openning of the email.
i.e. I send an URL and not a copy of the html page.

Currently MH support only ftp external parts....

Any idea how to implement such a feature ?
Are external parts supported by mutt ?

--
Emmanuel

 Quoting Robert L. Harris (Robert.L.Harris at rnd-consulting.com):

 > Besides,  I use mutt.  My email has all my aliases in one file.  Just like
 > most other unix emailers.  Funny, no mutt email viruses...

 The problematic e-mail one can receive even in mutt (albeit with no
 virus exposure) might bear some careful thought.  E.g., many mutt
 installations automatically fork a copy of lynx for HTML MIME types,
 exposing you to the privacy violations previously discussed.  There
 might be other problems that don't occur to me.

 I tend to cut those off at the pass by disabling the call to lynx and
 sticking to "raw" e-mail -- but author Scott Courtney's thoughts on the
 dangers of "active" content have merit, and deserve looking into.  (I'm
 not sure I like his candidate solution, but there are no doubt others.)

 --
 Cheers,            "The front line of defense against such sophisticated
 Rick Moen          viruses is a continually evolving computer operating

| Robert-Emmanuel Mayssat                      @ VA Linux, Inc       |
| https//vaweb.valinux.com/~emayssat           Desk # : 408/542-8759 |