[svlug] Oh, forgot to tell you guys about UCITA already affecting Virginia ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon May 8 05:28:05 PDT 2000

Oh, forgot to tell you guys about UCITA already affecting Virginia

You can usually buy used computer games at EB, and other stores in
other states (like Florida).  When I went to EB in Virginia, a store
that regularly buys back old computer games and sells them (at least
in Florida and a few other SE US states), they only have used
console games (and I think it was only the cartridges, NOT CDs).

When I asked a local EB employee why they didn't have any used
computer games, he said it is illegal or something now.  I then
asked him if it was because of UCITA (first said it, U-SEE-TAH, then
spelled it U-C-I-T-A) and he said he never heard of it.  I then
informed him of the law that was passed and he said "well that
sucks."

I'd really like to see shrink wrap licenses stand up in court.  God,
between the SPA (or whatever they call themselves now) and the MPAA,
is there really any "right-to-use" anymore?

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan J. Smith         Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
         mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org,thebs at theseus.com
     Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html