[svlug] Virus FUD

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 8 11:28:54 PDT 2000

Quoting Robert L. Harris (Robert.L.Harris at rnd-consulting.com):

> Besides,  I use mutt.  My email has all my aliases in one file.  Just like
> most other unix emailers.  Funny, no mutt email viruses...

The problematic e-mail one can receive even in mutt (albeit with no
virus exposure) might bear some careful thought.  E.g., many mutt
installations automatically fork a copy of lynx for HTML MIME types,
exposing you to the privacy violations previously discussed.  There
might be other problems that don't occur to me.

I tend to cut those off at the pass by disabling the call to lynx and
sticking to "raw" e-mail -- but author Scott Courtney's thoughts on the
dangers of "active" content have merit, and deserve looking into.  (I'm
not sure I like his candidate solution, but there are no doubt others.)

--
Cheers,            "The front line of defense against such sophisticated
Rick Moen          viruses is a continually evolving computer operating